Friday, December 04, 2015

Internet Explorer 11 failing on prerequisite KB2729094 even though the required prerequisites are already installed

I've found that on PC where WMI is slow to respond it can cause issues with upgrading to IE11.

WMI query for Hotfixes timed out. Query string: 'Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering WHERE HotFixID="KB2729094"'  Error: 0x00040004 (262148).

I've found that on some systems running this query can take a good 4-5 minutes to respond. by the time the query returns something IE11 has already quit out and exited the install with a "0x00009C47 (40007) - Required updates failed to download." error.  (interesting though it will still return a 0 to say it upgraded successfully which is a different issue).

In this case opening WBEMTEST and running "Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering WHERE HotFixID="KB2729094"" before hand can help. when you run the query multiple times the second time the query is run it's much faster.

Generally this only affects the slowest of slow machines (ones without SSD's)

If you find this article useful please leave me a comment.